Americas Watchdog warns homeowners that toxic Chinese drywall problems occur outside of Florida as well, similar reports of houses smelling of rotten-eggs and charred electrical wiring have spread as far as he Pacific Northwest. “We actually believe we will find more sub-divisions in Arizona’s Phoenix and Tucson metro areas, California’s Riverside County, Stockton, the Scramento metro, Modests, Fresno, San Jose, the Portland, Oregon metro, and the Seattle, Tacoma, Washington metro areas. In addition the toxic Chinese drywall is all over the Washington DC metro, New Orleans and it covers the entire states of Texas and Hawaii.” says Americas Watchdog.
A shortage in American building materials combined with successive hurricanes is said to have caused the importation of bad material on a grand scale. Toxic Chinese drywall is said to have first entered the United States in late 2000 or early 2001 and it reached it’s peak use between 2004 and 2006. Most houses are built with materials (drywall) from several sources and it is common for investigators to find a mixture of good and tainted drywall. This makes it potentially easy to pass by a handful of tainted boards that could ruin a home or potentially cause a health risk to it’s occupants.
A new list of possible indicators of toxic Chinese drywall has been released to the public:
* Pull off five or six electrical face plates (Do Not Touch The Wires). If the copper ground wire or the electrical wires have turned black, or are charred, you should contact the Homeowners Consumer Center immediately at 866-714-6466, or contact them via their web site at Http://HomeownersConsumerCenter.Com
* Homeowners who live in a home with toxic Chinese drywall may be suffering severe upper respiratory issues, headaches, nose bleeds, or other severe medical indications. According to the Homeowners Consumer Center, “one thing we hear all the time is, I feel terrible, or sick, when I am in the house. I go on vacation, or leave for a few days, and I feel better.”
* The home may have a slight or strong, sulfur, rotten egg or even acid type smell.
* Air conditioning coils, stove top oven elements, and or refrigerators may be failing at an usually high rate. According to the Homeowners Consumer Center, “we have talked to hundreds of people who have gone through three or four air conditioning coils since 2006.
* Silver jewelry or silver wedding plates or flat ware may be tarnishing within months or even weeks.