The compound known as Brilliant Blue G (BBG) (the agent that gives M&Ms, Gatorade, and other products their blue appearance) has been linked by researchers to a reduction in “secondary damage” caused by spinal cord injuries.

Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center discovered that injecting BBG into rats with damaged spinal cords allowed the otherwise disabled rodents to walk again.  The only noted side effect was that the treated animals literally turned blue, albeit temporarily.

Currently, 85% of spinal cord patients receive no treatment, while the remaining 15% receive steroids.  Researchers seem aimed at expanding the limited array of treatments by conducting studies that seem unorthodox, at least on the surface.

Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage often are sustained in auto accidents, falls due to slippery surfaces, or any jolt or shock to the head, neck, or brain.  The researchers involved in the BBG study plan to approach the FDA for the permission to perform human testing in the near future.

“Our hope is that this work will lead to a practical, safe agent that can be given to patients shortly after injury, for the purpose of decreasing the secondary damage that we have to otherwise expect,” said Steven Goldman, Chair of the University of Rochester Department of Neurology.

Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage are sometimes caused by the negligence of another.  Even when a victim is insured, often times they are left with bills due to partial coverage.  The financial strain placed upon family members and the victim can be discouraging.

Depending upon the severity of the condition, victims may require life-long care which often places an unfortunate financial strain on family members and loved ones of victims.   The Virginia brain injury lawyers at our firm have experience working with doctors across the United States, enforcing the legal rights of trauma victims, as they strive to be the voice of the victim.

If you – or someone you love – has been injured in an automobile accident, do not hesitate to be in touch the lawyers at The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C.

 
 

Theme by HermesThemes

Copyright © 2013 Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC. All Rights Reserved